I am so loving pinterest and all the wonderful homemade things I cannot wait to try! I'm sure we all have had our share of colds and coughs and we always seem to turn to a cough syrup or cough drops! Now, with the dilemma of not knowing what goes into our foods, i'm sure we would want to know what we are consuming in our medicines...because after all they are supposed to helping us get better....right? who really knows though! I have found a recipe to make your own cough drops, made with all natural products and herbs.
what you will need:
1. 1 tablespoon or one tea bag peppermint tea leaves
2. 1 tablespoon or tea bag or chamomile tea
3. 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4. 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
5. 3/4 cup of boiling water
6. 3/4 cup of honey
7. essential oils like peppermint and thieves which is great for the immune system but these are optional.
8. parchment paper
What you need to do:
1. steep peppermint, chamomile, ginger and cinnamon in boiling water for 10 minutes
2. strain off water and pour into a small saucepan
3. add honey
4. heat over a medium heat setting until it starts to boil
5. continue to boil this mixture until the temperature of the liquid reaches 300* (be careful because it can burn easily when it is this hot)
6. let the mixture cool for about 5-10 minutes until the mixture gets syrupy (this is where you would add your essential oils in)
7. drop small spoonfuls onto parchment paper and let it cool.
8. dust these with some corn starch or potato starch to help absorb the condensation and prevent them from sticking together in storage. store in an airtight container!
Hope this helps those of us who would like to be more cost efficient at home!! Enjoy!!