We all know that every dog likes to be walked, but we all know how we hate that they have to pull and drag us with them. Walking your dog is so good for them, it lets them get out and enjoy the smells and of course use the bathroom! I have here 9 steps to hopefully get your dog to stop pulling and dragging you down the street on the leash!
1. Use a head collar or a harness that buckles in the front and use a regular leash.
2. Teach your dog the loose leash walk. (the leash has some slack)
3. Whenever your dogs starts to pull immediately stop walking or start walking the opposite way. The lesson they learn here is that if they pull you stop or even worse go back.
4. When the leash has some slack again, continue to walk again.
5. Frequently reward your dog with treats if he is walking without pulling or even if he is right next to you.
6. Make sure you are walking fast enough so your dog doesnt get bored and try to sniff and pee every single second.
7. When allowing your dog to sniff and pee, deliberately stop and let him do his business, saying phrase like "go pee" or "go potty", and once he's done simply use another phrase like "lets go" so he knows when he is supposed to sniff and go pee and when its time to leave.
8. Don't change the leash length by stretching out your arm.
9. Be consistent and make sure everyone follows the same rules and commands so your dog doesnt get confused.
Our dog, Prince has really never been walked or on a leash, he has always been good with just going out and doing his thing and coming back inside. Bailey has been leashed but not for walking just for back and forth for vet visits. She is doing pretty good at being off leash when need to go to the bathroom! and she is getting the hang of it! Eventually, i think walking her will be good for her and i will using these tips to help prevent her from pulling, shes a big girl, so she'll literally be dragging us down the street! LOL